The MacCallum House, Mendocino
The historic Inn & Restaurant at the MacCallum House in Mendocino CA has just been listed for sale for only the third time in 127 years.
Having recently undergone a series of dramatic upgrades and remodels, the 19 room inn and restaurant is a thriving business located in the heart of the historic Mendocino Village. The Main House (MacCallum House), built in 1882, features six rooms, each lavishly furnished with antiques. Many feature claw-foot soaking tubs, sleigh beds and ocean views. Seven cottages surround the main house, each with its own unique charm. Most include wood stoves, private decks, gardens and hot tubs. The original Mac¬Callum barn has also been restored and it features 6 more rooms with river-stone fireplaces, exposed old growth redwood beam ceilings, wood floors and dramatic ocean views. Several of the buildings on the property are landmark structures in the historic register.
The History Begins in 1850
The history of Mendocino and the MacCallum House are both tied to its dramatic redwood trees. The story goes back to 1850 when the “Frolic”, a ship bound from China for San Francisco, ran aground just north of Point Cabrillo. Aboard the “Frolic” was an emporium of Chinese goods intended for sale in the booming San Francisco. When a group was dispatched from the logging camp at Bodega Bay to recover the cargo, they found virgin redwood forests instead of booty from the Orient. In 1852 lumberman and entrepreneur Harry Meiggs, founder of San Francisco’s Fisherman’s Wharf, sailed to Mendocino Bay with his sawmill aboard the ship “Ontario”. Thus began the area’s logging industry. From 1852-1882 Mendocino served as the primary supplier of redwood lumber to booming California, continuing as a main lumber source into the 1920s.
William Kelley was in Meiggs’ crew and became one of the original settlers of Mendocino. Although coming to California to pursue gold, he made his fortune through various business ventures, including two sawmills, a general merchandise store, saloons, pool halls and livery stables. He returned to his na¬tive Prince Edward Island in 1855 and brought back his bride, Eliza, to join him. Their daughter, Daisy, was born in 1859 and 20 years later she married her father’s bookkeeper, Alexander MacCallum. She was known as spirited and charming and he as shrewd, a winning combination. Daisy went on to become the town belle of Mendocino.
MacCallum House was built by William Kelley as a wedding gift to his daughter and new son-in-law. The architect and builder was John D. Johnson, who did many of Mendocino’s long-lasting redwood, New England-style Victorian homes.
In addition to improving the physical property, the present owners of the MacCallum house have made major improvements in customer service and community outreach. The property has received rave reviews from national publications such as Wine Spectator, NY Times, and was recently awarded Top 10 Most Romantic Inns by American Historic Inns. The property also plays a vital role in the local community with regular outreach to organizations such as the schools, Cancer Resource Center and Mendocino Land Trust. An experienced management team coordinates the day to administration of the Inn and business while noted chef, Alan Kantor, directs activities in the kitchen. The MacCallum house is situated in the middle of Mendocino proper with wonderful views of the bay and water and is quite simply the bellwether property of Mendocino real estate.
The town of Mendocino has long been a romantic destination for weddings and the MacCallum House has also developed a thriving special event business for everything from weddings and birthdays, to conferences and wine tours to nearby blossoming Anderson Valley wineries.
Most importantly, the meticulous way the owners have cared for the premises and built the business offers an incredible lifestyle for someone who wants to escape day to day corporate responsibilities and instead direct this efficient business from a more comfortable and peaceful perch just a few hours north of San Francisco.
19 Bedrooms / 19 Baths / 10,300 Sq. Ft.